Governance and Risk Management
• Naretoi Development Initiative is a duly registered community based organisation with an office and a clear constitution.
• In place is an acting board whose roles are significantly distinct to those of the secretariat one of them being oversight to the organisation activities.
• The organisation constitution requires review and ratification by the BOM.
Strategic and Operational Planning
• NDI has very clear and precise Vision and mission statements as captured in the constitution which depicts the programmatic objectives of the organisation.
• Organisation lacks a documented strategic plan .however the staff have a general understanding of their key project activities.
• NDI has not developed any work plan/Activity Plan or budget since inception.
• Do not have a HR Policy/Strategy in place.
• Resource mobilization through mostly done through grant applications.
• NDI is currently implementing one project in partnership with Child Fund with the geographical coverage being Samburu East.
• NDI has experience in implementing advocacy related activities in partnership with the County government, Community structures and child fund.
• The staff did not showcase capacity to directly implement huge programs since they haven’t received any direct funding in the past..
• The staff provided evidence of organisation structure however they require capacity building so as to develop a clear organogram.
Finance Management & reporting
• The finance department is headed by the treasurer who has an account background (CPA 2).
• The Organisation doesn’t have any financial manual however they have captured some financial guidelines in the constitution.
• Financial transactions are not in line with the financial guidelines captured in the constitution.
• No budget, bank reconciliations or cash flow projections generated by the treasurer.
• The organisation has a dormant current account with Kenya Commercial Bank.
• All organisation funds are kept by the treasurer and not banked as per financial guidelines. Raises concern over possible loss of funds.
• No Audits have been carried out since inception.
• NDI has no procurement policy /Plan and the purchase of goods or services are only left to the staff.
Monitoring & Evaluation
• NDI has a documented M/E plan, where the Program Manager doubles as an M/E lead Staff.
• The Organisation has no data collection tools/templates and did not present any activity reports.
• With very good networking and partnerships history the organisation uses baseline exercises as a way to collect data which informs their implementation.
• NDI is a youth led organisation, however doesn’t have an existing Advocacy Strategy document to guide project implementation.
• Dedicated and passionate staff who have adequate skills to implement Gender and advocacy interventions
Summary of strengthens, weaknesses and risks
Resource mobilizing capacity is quite high making the organization sustainable in the long run. Has asset to support with the implementation i.e. Own IGAs (3 different type), has land, human resource, computers
Has not developed M&E plan to guide the organization. The SP is lacking M&E framework.
Risk of quality delivery of project outcome because of missing oversight by the BOD who are at the same time implementers.
Summary of recommendations & Pre-conditions